When the System Administrator has set the 'Windows Software Restriction Policy' to disable. With other words the Windows Installer has been disabled.This will result in a an error when you try to install the VMware Tools.
The error is: The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation
The solution is to enable the windows installer setting in the 'Windows Software Restriction Policy'.
- Start gpedit.msc (start --> Run)
- Browse to Local Computer Policy
- Select Computer Configuration
- Select Administrative Templates
- Select Windows Components
- Select Windows Installer
- Set the policy from Disabled to Enabled
Retry to install the VMware Tools. After succesfull install, set the policy back if needed.